VWM
Virtual Workforce Management

Blog

Lessons Learned

How to find a process to Automate?

Here are few things to keep in mind as you are thinking about RPA

  • 80% of what people do is common, 20% tailored to suit a customer – if we could automate the 80% (common) and provide agility for the 20%
  • Agreed that attacking the core 80% and that this would free up resource to do much more interesting work on the remaining 20%. Moreover, in high transaction environments, only 30% of time is utilized handling exceptions – should be much higher (i.e. common processes should be automated)
  • Endorse the approach of continual improvement through automation due to it being secure, reliable and predictable
  • It is not replacement of IT, it is about allowing business to control their own process flows
  • What is really needed is an understanding of designated areas for usage of Business driven computing versus traditional IT and that such differences would enhance overall productivity of company
  • Group IT solutions are very difficult to deliver: processes are not know in depth up front, programs take a long time to deliver and things change by the time IT gets there
  • We have loads of macros written on the back of major systems and when the system changes there is massive impact
  • Set it up to handle the sunny day scenarios very quickly then add more depth over time
  • Major benefit is to get something in quickly and then improve it
  • BP has helped get applications we couldn’t integrate with into the core process, some are short term tactical fix and some are longer burn, there will always be third party systems difficult for us to integrate with and bring into an automated process

Signs of fit for RPA:

  • Limited time to respond to regulatory issues and have to be quick
  • Limited IT resource available so had to find a more dynamic way of delivering change
  • Faced with a lot of legacy systems
  • Group IT control central budgets, governance and control – there are mandatory projects and major programs
  • There is never enough money left for the discretionary projects
  • Need to deliver quickly into very competitive markets
  • A lot of processes are disconnected
  • IT own the big strategy programs but we deal with the local efficiency gains and to support legacy systems
Tristan Gitman